Monday, November 26, 2018

Whats in the Box?

This is the season for boxing stuff up and gifting. Because I am a scrapbooker, paper manipulator, I usually do a few gifts by hand.

So, what is in this box?
 I made it pretty all around. I kept the top flat so it can be easily stored.
There it is! It opens up to 4 mini albums
 Each of the 4 big sides is removable for easy viewing of the albums.
See my process and details below.


I  want to say, I saw this idea a long long time ago and adapted it to my own style. I give credit to 'Laurie' sorry I do not have a link or blog name to that post {lost it several computer changes ago}. I loved her 'inside - outside the box' thinking.



I am a sewer. So often my preplanning resembles a sewing pattern. I am putting this up as a sample of how I work only. I used a 12 x 12 inch paper as a template, all details sketched in and then translated to the chipboard with a ruler. Always do a test piece and dry fit before your final cutting and assemblage.  


TEMPLATE- cut 4 total before you assemble, 2 from chipboard and 2 from your decorative background paper {slightly bigger all the way around}
This is the chipboard cut for the base as well as the lid. NOTE: the lid has to be slightly larger all the way around to allow for ease of closing.
Score the fold lines slightly with a cutter for a crisp fold.
Reinforce all the creases with a thin liner. I used strips of express post mailer. It is very tough, but also thin enough to be unobtrusive.
Fit, glue, clip till dry.

In addition, I used a rigid waistband tape {from the sewing stash} to reinforce the lower box edge. It is glued and stapled in place on the outside.




Use a ruler,
 

Here is the box assembled before trimming and adding decorative ribbon. I used a solid base shimmer paper, then detailed with decorative after.
Use coordinating card stock to make the tiny album insets they are approximately 5 x 4-1/2 inches each. Ink all edges and decorate with stamps and paper bits before assemblage.

 Each of the 4 sides slide up and out
Detail of corner work.
NOTE: Between the secured smaller edges the sandwich will be Outside chipboard, covered outside, then 2 small center strips then inside chipboard covered slightly smaller than outside. Secured into the base in the corners.
Inside of album board is decorated, then ribbons holes are punched and  threaded through before the outside is decorated. NOTE: Keep the punch holes about 1/2 inch from top edge to allow the album to fit.
I will tell you that this took about 5 good crafting sittings to finish. I am going to fill it with photos of the kids, grand's and great-grandkids, for my Mother for Christmas. There is even lots of room to tuck an extra gift of some kind inside.
 
 MATERIALS:
- Chipboard 12 x 12 @4
- Liquid quick grab glue
- Office paper clips for holding
- Ruler for accurate measuring
- Regular size Stapler
- Ribbons and such for trimming
- Ink to match the paper line, 'Dark Blue'
- Stamps for journaling or decorating.


1 comment:

Cindy C. said...

What a special gift!! Thanks for the tutorial!