Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Table for My Happy Place

Linked to Ms Mustard Seed
I fixed this table up quite some time ago. It started out in pieces.
I literally pulled it out of the wood scraps pile of our local transfer station. I had to make two trips to get all the pieces. I realized as soon as I got home I had missed one of the leaves. {The site is only open two times a week. So I had to wait an entire week to be able to go back and dig.} Not to worry, I took my teenage daughter with me. She is more spry after all.  The entire table was in 4 different pieces. The legs were still kind of attached to to the apron part.  I can tell by the construction it is a very old primitive table. The leaves are held open with a piece of wood that slides through a slot in the bottom to support them.
The red was weathered to perfection, but not what I wanted for my space. After cleaning it thoroughly with the car wash wand and water. I gave it all a light sand and removed some of the many many extra nails that were holding it together. Next I quickly coated every piece with a solid undercoat of white latex. I then reassembled it to the best of my ability. It doesn't sit perfectly, but, I think it adds to the overall charm..
This is what it looked like when I drug it into the house
I added some distress type painting with the colors of my room. Primarily blue and yellow. I put one of my favorite quotes on the front leaf, decoupaged some butterfly's and whimsical designs.

This is what I woke up to this morning....
....so I am dreaming of summer projects
Over a foot of fresh snow and still falling
~SECOND WINTER~


3 comments:

2amscrapper said...

Surely spring will come soon to your neck of the woods--in the meantime, you have a lovely table to sit by.

Anonymous said...

it's the perfect table for your happy place my dear.

love romeo

Micupoftea said...

This is fantastic! You've brought it back to life....love that you added a quote :)