Friday, July 5, 2019

Upcycle Antique Sewing Machine

In our family, we love 'Junking'
~taking something that has been discarded and generally looks unsalvageable and making something else with it.
This old sewing machine was in the garbage heap. It actually looked as if it had sat somewhere very wet for a long time.
Like this, but with more wood attached.
{I forgot the cardinal rule...'take a before photo'}
There were no drawers with it.
 The actual machine was heavily rusted and the top of the table was broken. I did have it all apart at one point. {note to self...label your screws as you remove them} So, I scraped, sanded and cleaned it with a wire brush. I decided to just keep the machine separate {will do something with that later} I repainted the cast iron parts with black paint, then dusted it with brass. It really is very pretty now. All the wood got a solid 3 coats of semi-gloss crème color paint.
Right now this is the latest addition to my 'happy place' It has cubbies on each side for rolls of things, and a lovely little shelf underneath. I am on the hunt for a top to make it into an extended top table.
 
A few more up cycle ideas...
Thanks Pinterest and Pinners
 


 

2 comments:

Cindy C. said...

Oh what a fun post!! And wow what a fabulous job you did with the sewing machine. I can't wait to see the finished top part. Thanks for the inspiration Pam.

Joanne said...

very nice! I like the flipflop idea, too... they look pretty darn big, though!