Wednesday, December 1, 2021

A Griswold Christmas

I do have a few favourite Christmas movies. 'Christmas Vacation' with Chevy Chase is right up there. It just makes me laugh.  Inspired by the show and other things I thought I would give this a go. It still needs some tiny tacky lights. Tell me what you are doing just for the sheer joy of making you smile this Christmas season?
I have told the kids I want a Griswold Christmas this year. We have been through some stuff this year and its time to laugh again.  We are going to do  an 'Anything Goes', anyone welcome 'yes I mean  you Aunt Bethany and Cousin Eddy"....the tackier the better blind gift exchange. Second hand, red neck, jellie mold, kat, (not a real kat thats cruel) should be fun! Not sure what will go in it. Possibly Christmas Crackers, or Cards. Maybe a Jar with Notes from everyone, to open and read every year. I do have a stash of fun notes on  gift tags from Christmas's past. 
I have had this piece of reclaimed rusted tin in the garage for a long time. Originally I had thought to use it as a cover for a junk journal. I stillhave enough to do that too. Front and back side shown above. Who knew that the people that make them use off cuts from pop cans to make other stuff?
I just love the Patina on this! #notafraidoftetnus 

Starts with a cardboard plan to scale
Then take that plan to some scraps of beadboard from a different project. Can't call it hoarding if I use it right? Cut all the pieces. Be flexible, might have to adjust on the fly. Make sure when you knock it together it will fit and sit relatively straight. I carpenter glued and used an air staple gun.
Lightly sketch larger all the way around, then cut with tin snips.
Fit the tin cutout over the top of the templates. Use the persuader carefully. Some of this tin was badly degraded so it was a bit crumbly. 

Its a process, takes several days to get the colors mixed to fill in the blank spaces and cover some of the rough edges with a mix of carpenters glue, molding paste and paints. 
In the end I was well enough pleased with the results.
It does kind of look like a big ugly box at this point. I may have to cut back the fenders at some point. For the tire treads, that you can't see. I reclaimed a steering wheel cover my husband was disguarding. It took some scrubbing and careful cutting. But it did look like tire treads in the end.
Next is to add in some details with paper and such


I didn't get all the process photos. Used a malable metal edger to cover top sharp pieces. I bent it over a scrap, then fitted it along the top. Persuader, and patience!
That about sums it up!!


No comments: