Friday, May 6, 2022

Black Forest Table- The real Deal

This is what I have been working on. These are the end tables to a 3 piece coffee table set circa 1966. They came out of Germany are hand carved and decorated. They have been in our family that long and recently and generously were handed off to me to refresh and renew. Each of the 3 has a different design that flows into one scene if you lay them side by side. 
This is how they came to me, slightly protected. Definitely unloved and unwanted in their current condition. It is amazing they survived with the original glass intact after being shifted from storage place to storage place. 
The one shown above looked like this before I started the cleanup on it. 
They came out of a home where the owners smoked non stop for as long as the tables were there, probably over 50 years of tobacco second hand smoke exposure. Above if you zoom, you can see the oxidized tar covered edge
These clothes represent a 6 inch clean, over and over again just on the non porous edge. If you ever wondered what cigarette smoke does to your lungs, his is a wakeup call. 




I had to glue some of the edges back in place. 
I really do LOVE these and am grateful to have them. 
As a side note, I loved the original owner of these tables, and I miss her still. 





No comments: